Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Coffee Table that's really a Dinner Table


I've had this little table for years.  I found it at my most favorite Antique Shop  here in town.  It was much taller when I bought it, but we saw it working better as a coffee table so we cut off it's legs. It was a very nice shade of blue as well, a bit worn, perfectly made for our living area.
Fast forward a few years and there are a few more people in this house... 
tiny people; 
sticky people; 
dirty little people. 
Our house was built in 1927 and is really quite small.  But I love it so.
One of the issues that we've run into with a growing family is that is has no specific place for us to dine in.  There's a room off the kitchen that could possibly work, but there's no way an actual dining table would fit in there, so we make due.
Actually this table makes due.
Our children sit around it at each meal and it was beginning to really show.
Plus, as the house is slowly being re-decorated it was inevitable that this table would also need a slight makeover... and so it was given one.

I stripped the top hoping to unmask some hidden beauty;
it was beautiful in its own way, but not exactly what I was hoping for.
But I immediately recalled that I had some translucent glaze that I've used for different paint jobs throughout our home and gave it a whirl. And I really like the way it turned out.
The legs were painted with some leftover paint; the vintage glass knob was bought at Hobby Lobby on a day that was destined for me to be there when it was 50% off; and the two coats of polyurethane were also leftover from another project.
So... this little makeover cost me a whopping $2.14, which is my kind of makeover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment