Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Tomato Soup

When I was dating my husband, I had lunch with his family every Sunday.
(His family included a dad, a mom, and FOUR brothers, yeah that's right, FIVE BOYS total...more on that some other time!)
And one Sunday, his sweet mother made tomato soup.
I had never had tomato soup.
I didn't grow up eating it.
The only soup I remember eating from a can was Campbell's Chicken Noodle, and that's just because that's what you eat when you're sick.
I think maybe one of his brothers had asked me if I liked tomato soup and I answered that I really didn't know because I hadn't ever had it and they were shocked.
And when I took my first bite, all eyes were on me, waiting in anticipation for my reaction.
I gulped it down. I really did not like it.
And when that same charming brother asked me how I liked it, I believe I replied,
"It tastes like tomatoes.".

Fast forward a few years, I'm married and thinking that maybe I would like tomato soup if I made it myself (I'm kind of snobby like that).
And I did.
And I still do.
So, here it is:


Tomato Soup For Snobs:

Three to Four Tomatoes Diced OR Two Cans of Diced Tomatoes
One Medium Clove of Garlic
1 Teaspoon of Basil
1 Cup of Chicken Stock or Broth*
1/2 Cup of Milk or Cream (whatever you have on hand, both are good)
Salt and Pepper to taste

In a pot, combine tomatoes, garlic, basil, and chicken stock; bring to a boil.  Let boil until tomatoes are soft then remove from heat.  Pour mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour mixture back into pot and add milk.  Let simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.

Grill yourself a Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

I like to add a little dollop of sour cream and a little more basil on top. It looks pretty, it's delicious, and it makes me feel a little fancy. 

Eat it and raise a fist in honor of tomato soup snobs everywhere.

*Stock is made with bones; Broth is made without bones.  I use both, but I think I may prefer Stock.

1 comment:

  1. I love to use heavy cream & sour cream :) And? No lie...some ginger, dill and honey. You can't detect them & they give it a really unique flavor!

    ReplyDelete