Monday, September 19, 2011

Tis the season...

Ah, yes, 'tis the season indeed... the season of diligence.
The dictionary defines diligence as a constant and earnest effort to accomplish what has been undertaken; the persistent exertion of body and mind.

The persistent exertion of body and mind...

As I wrote that, little thumbnails of images went through my mind;
taking my two year old to the bathroom during church... six times in five minutes;
disciplining my three and a half year old for being unkind to the two year old...10 times in one hour;
cleaning pink lip gloss off the couch for the third time this week;
acknowledging every bump, bruise, cut and scrape;
eating every cupcake and cookie brought to me from the little pink kitchen;
wrapping up every baby doll just like baby brother is wrapped up;
reading the same books and listening to the same songs over and over... and over.

Loving people... so they see;
 speaking kindly... so they hear;
showing empathy... so they feel;
doing the right thing... every time;
asking for forgiveness... EVERY time I mess up;
praying constantly... out loud and with them;
being thankful... in ALL circumstances;
being obedient... when I really don't want to be;
accepting consequences;
being hopeful... always;
resting in my Savior's grace.

These are the seeds being diligently sown daily.
It's hard work. It's REALLY hard work!
But I fully believe we will reap an incredible harvest.
 In fact, my three year old could sing you a nice little diddy she's learned (from listening to the song EVERY TIME we're in the car!) about sowing seeds from Miss Millipede and the gang in Ants'hillvania... let's see how I do:

"First you pull the weeds, then you rake and hoe, then you plant the seed, that's the way you sow.
Just you wait and see, everyone will know, what you planted there when they start to grow.

Every plant has little seeds that make others of it's kind, apple seeds make apple trees and they do it every time. Seeds make flowers and shrubs and trees, seeds make ferns and vines and weeds, what you plant is what you grow, so be careful what you sow!

Down inside your heart there are thoughts you sow, that are just like seeds planted deep below, just you wait and see everyone will know what you planted there when they start to grow!

You must choose your seeds with care, what you sow will blossom there. Keep your garden free from sin, let wisdom from above within. Good thoughts help you do things right, bad thoughts make you fuss and fight. What you plant is what you grow, so be careful what you sow."

Okay, I'll just go ahead and admit that I had to actually listen to it just to get all the words right.
But it's a great tune to have playing over and over (and over!) reminding me that I have small window of time to really be diligent in this process because things are already sprouting up. Some really good little blossoms... and some really bad little weeds that need some major raking and hoeing!

I found a quote from Samuel Johnson that I really like:
"What we hope ever to do with ease, we may learn first to do with diligence."
So good to remember.

And when I'm tired and everything in me is screaming, "NOT AGAIN!!!!" I'm reminded to
"...not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up."

Don't give up.

2 comments: