Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Roasted Carrot and Caramelized Onion Soup


Last week sometime, I had noticed that one of the blog's I follow had a recipe for some kind of carrot soup. 
I never had the chance to actually look at the recipe and didn't really mind that I hadn't... 
until last night when, 
out of the blue, 
I wanted to make carrot soup for dinner.
So, I thought to myself,
"Carrot soup can't be that hard to make,
give it a go, Nicole!"
(and the other voices in my head were chanting,
"Do it, do it, do it!".
Too much info about my psychotic tendencies??)

What I came up with wasn't too bad.
In fact, my taste-tester aka the-one-I-love-most-all,
gave it an "Alright" and a 4 or 5 on a scale of 10.
That's actually MUCH better than what I expected from him.
(When he walked into the kitchen and saw what was being prepared,
he asked what was being made, 
we had some "flirtatious" banter, 
and he then said,
"Oh, that's just not what I would have picked off the menu.")

If you LIKE carrots, you might enjoy this.
If you have an insane love of root vegetables pureed into soup,
then you're going to love this.

Roasted Carrot and Caramelized Onion Soup

Two Cups of Carrots (I just used a bag of baby carrots)
Half of an Onion
Two Cups of Chicken Stock/Broth
One Tablespoon of Honey
1/2 Teaspoon of Ginger

I first tossed the carrots around with some olive oil, honey, and ginger and roasted them for about an hour at 350 degrees. I also sliced the onion and began caramelizing it in a skillet. Once the carrots were soft, and the onions were beautifully browned, I added them plus the other ingredients to the blender, excluding the stock. I pureed the mixture, adding the stock as needed, until it reached the consistency I preferred (I did end up using the entire two cups and even added a little bit of water as well). I moved the soup to a pot and let it simmer for about 20 - 30 minutes. 

I served this with a little dollop of sour cream and some freshly baked bread drizzled with honey and I actually really liked this soup. 
It may not become a menu staple, 
but it will definitely be "pinned" in my mind 
(oh, yeah, I think in Pinterest terms now). 
I also think some Thyme would be a really good fit somehow 
(because one time, my sweet friend, Sarah, made some Carrots with Thyme for book club and they were so marvelous!). 
So, give it a go sometime and see what you think!


No comments:

Post a Comment