Sunday, September 2, 2012

The Things Of This Earth...

Yesterday, began as most normal Fridays do for us; breakfast, brushing teeth, getting dressed, etc...
Almost every Friday for the last several months, you would have found me at home. I don't ever make plans on Fridays because I usually clean house. Every so often we'll head out in the afternoons, but even that's a rarity, as I prefer to have the kids at home resting and preparing for the weekend.
For some reason, yesterday morning we decided to go out looking for some garage sale finds; and then we went to the park for lunch, though my plan from the beginning had been to go home to eat lunch.

Once we arrived home a couple hours later, I soon realized what our garage sale-ing and picnic-ing had protected us from.

We arrived home to find our door kicked in, furnishings moved all around and I immediately saw that the computer was missing from the desk. I looked up and saw into our room; clothes everywhere, the bed moved... Without skipping a beat, everyone was shuffled out of the house and adrenaline kicked in.

It makes my heart beat faster even as I type now. I caught my breath and ran to my neighbor's house. I called the police; I called my husband. I talked to more neighbors hoping that someone had something to offer. A neighbor said they noticed a tall, white guy in khaki shorts with no shirt on loading stuff into an SUV, but thought it was another neighbor, so they thought nothing of it.

I stood outside with my three small children and waited for almost an hour for the police to show up. My husband actually saw two police down the street from our house and asked them to come help. (I have SO many words that could be said about this, but will keep those to myself and stick to the subject at hand!!)

My brother and sister came to help with the kids, and I eventually just took them over to their house hoping the little Mister could find a place to rest as he was exhausted.

I came home to the same mess, except there was now dust from where the Officer had taken fingerprints. I looked over to where the computer and my camera sat and thought about all the many pictures I would never see again... my babies births, vacations, birthday parties, Christmas', family pictures, and just the daily moments... ugh... it makes me ache even now.  However, Facebook, this blog, our family blog and friends and family have similar pictures and the people in those pictures are safely tucked away in their beds right now, and I am thankful.

Once the fast food dinner was eaten, a few more breaths had been caught, and the Littles were nestled in their beds, I finally made it into our room. It was overwhelming. I knew different treasures had been taken, but once I began picking up the pieces, I realized just how many. The diamond bracelet given to me from my Love just moments before we said "I do"; the birthstone ring given to me from my parents when I turned 16; the gold chain necklace and bracelet given to me from my deceased mother-in-law... and many, many more. Sadly, many that were taken were also unique and handmade by many of my friends. We realized later that my old piggy bank that sat on my husband's dresser was missing, a pocket knife with an anchor on it that I had given my husband along with a few other personally valuable items were also all missing. Little earthly treasures that we valued... thankfully, the man I said "I do" to is sleeping in our bed right now; my parents are a phone call away; and my mother-in-law is at Home where our souls will one day be together again.

As I prepared to go to bed, I looked over to the broken lock and thought of the two guns that were stolen. Our earthly security had been broken and taken from us. I was clinging (and I do mean white-knuckled clinging) to the hope that my Security and my Peace would continue His protection through the night and the upcoming days and weeks as we try to regain that inner peace that allows you to keep moving. As I laid there in the dark, I knew we were safe, but sleep was nowhere in sight. I couldn't shut my eyes, but I didn't want them open either. Thankfully, the Littles needs distracted me several times and exhaustion finally just kicked in. And a new morning came as it always does.

This world can be a hard place at times; there are, unfortunately, evil souls who do their best to wreak havoc and spread despair.

My soul is weak, but stands firm in Hope; it is weary and anxious, but finds rest in Peace.

My body and my mind... are still pretty ticked off.



5 comments:

  1. these verses have helped me through the past couple weeks, i hope they bring some comfort to you as well.

    another note: i've had people do some pretty horrible things to me/family, and one thing that helped was praying for THEM. i had to literally make myself do it, but eventually it came naturally & there was healing/forgiveness. i know it seems impossible at the time. just a thought.


    28 You, Lord, keep my lamp burning;
    my God turns my darkness into light.
    29 With your help I can advance against a troop;
    with my God I can scale a wall.

    30 As for God, his way is perfect:
    The Lord’s word is flawless;
    he shields all who take refuge in him.

    psalm 18: 28-30

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet friend, I hope it was comforting to type these words and YES of course you are still pretty ticked off. I am too! It's not a thing that is easily made sense of -- and I'm sorry that the police were so near by and the neighbors so oblivious. How irritating and sad. I know it will take time to find your sense of stability again and of course that will always be a little changed too. I'm just sitting here reading and crying tears of sadness with you and sending you lots of love and hoping that Love will guard your heart and all the treasures there as you deal with this aftermath. Much love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, friend... you know my heart prety well, so yes, this was quite comforting and healing for me. Love you!

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I send HUGE HUGS your way!!!

    ReplyDelete